The Most Dangerous Places in Alberta - September 2022
Here are the six most dangerous places in Alberta, according to the police reported crime rates.
St. Paul had the highest crime rate in the province according to the RCMP property crime data. There were over 18 crimes per 1,000 residents. This was the highest crime rate per resident I’d ever seen.
The O’Chiese First Nation community had the second highest crime rate in the province, rising to over 14 crimes per 1,000 residents.
Eastern Alberta maintained the highest crime rate in the province as a region.
The six most dangerous places in Eastern Alberta St. Paul, Bonnyville, St. Paul County, Slave Lake, Athabasca, and Cold Lake all had over 6 crimes per 1,000 residents.
St Paul with 18.59 crimes per 1,000 residents had the highest crime rate. It was 1347% higher than Okotoks at spot 100 .
Ranking | Municipality| Crimes per 1,000 Residents| Region of Alberta
- 100 Okotoks 1.38 Calgary Region
- 101 Nanton 1.38 Southern Alberta
- 102 Vermilion River County 1.33 Eastern Alberta
- 103 Camrose County 1.29 Central Alberta
- 104 Westlock County 1.25 Central Alberta
- 105 Ponoka County 1.22 Central Alberta
- 106 Penhold 1.15 Central Alberta
- 107 Mountain View County 1.15 Calgary Region
- 108 Foothills County 1.10 Calgary Region
- 109 Delburne 1.09 Central Alberta
- 110 Mackenzie County 0.98 Peace River Valley
- 111 MD of Opportunity 0.94 Eastern Alberta
- 112 Beaumont 0.91 Central Alberta
- 113 Didsbury 0.77 Central Alberta
- 114 Wembley 0.66 Grande Prairie
- 115 County of Forty Mile 0.56 Alberta Badlands
- 116 Bow Island 0.50 Eastern Alberta
- 117 Taber 0.47 Alberta Badlands
- 118 Woodlands County 0.42 Central Alberta
- 119 High River 0.39 Calgary Region
- 120 Black Diamond 0.37 Calgary Region
- 121 MD of Greenview 0.33 Grande Prairie
- 122 County of Barrhead 0.32 Central Alberta
- 123 MD of Bonnyville 0.23 Eastern Alberta
- 124 Yellowhead County 0.18 Alberta Rockies
- 125 County of Westaskawin 0.18 Central Alberta
Crime Rates Across Alberta in September
Leduc County, Edmonton, Devon, Leduc, Calmar and Spruce Grove had the highest crimes rates in the Edmonton Region.
Calgary*, Stoney Nakoda First Nation, Cochrane, Rocky View County, Crossfield, and Chestermere had the highest crime rates in the Calgary region.
O-Chiese, Samson Cree Nation, Barrhead, Drayton Valley, Alberta Beach and Wetaskawin had the highest crime rates in Central Alberta.
Claresholm, Flagstaff County, Castor, Stettler County, Stettler, and Cardston had the highest crime rates in Southern Alberta. Generally this is the safest region of the province.
Grande Prairie and Peace River Region
High Prairie, Berwyn, Beaverlodge, Peace River, Northern Sunrise County and Valleyview had the highest crime in the Grande Prairie - Peace River Region.
Ranking of Communities Across Alberta From 1 to 99
Ranking | Municipality| Crimes per 1,000 Residents| Region of Alberta
- 1 St Paul 18.59 Eastern Alberta
- 2 O'Chiese 15.21 Central Alberta
- 3 Bonnyville 13.27 Eastern Alberta
- 4 High Prairie 10.53 Peace River Valley
- 5 Berwyn 9.29 Peace River Valley
- 6 Samson Cree Nation 8.30 Central Alberta
- 7 St. Paul County 7.95 Eastern Alberta
- 8 Barrhead 7.87 Central Alberta
- 9 Slave Lake 7.67 Eastern Alberta
- 10 Beaverlodge 7.49 Grande Prairie
- 11 Claresholm 7.41 Southern Alberta
- 12 Leduc County 7.26 Edmonton Metropolitan Region
- 13 Athabasca 7.25 Eastern Alberta
- 14 Drayton Valley 7.05 Central Alberta
- 15 Cold Lake 6.70 Eastern Alberta
- 16 Flagstaff County 6.69 Alberta Badlands
- 17 Peace River 6.65 Peace River Valley
- 18 Edmonton 6.51 Edmonton Metropolitan Region
- 19 Northern Sunrise County 6.15 Peace River Valley
- 20 Alberta Beach 5.89 Central Alberta
- 21 Wetaskiwin 5.61 Central Alberta
- 22 Castor 5.38 Alberta Badlands
- 23 Stettler County 5.07 Alberta Badlands
- 24 Improvement District No. 9 4.98 Alberta Rockies
- 25 Stettler 4.86 Alberta Badlands
- 26 Valleyview 4.78 Grande Prairie
- 27 Bentley 4.64 Central Alberta
- 28 Vegreville 4.56 Eastern Alberta
- 29 Red Deer 4.52 Central Alberta
- 30 Ponoka 4.50 Central Alberta
- 31 Grande Prairie 4.43 Grande Prairie
- 32 Sundre 4.40 Central Alberta
- 33 Cardston 4.18 Southern Alberta
- 34 High Level 4.12 Peace River Valley
- 35 Devon 3.95 Edmonton Metropolitan Region
- 36 Eckville 3.94 Central Alberta
- 37 Lac La Biche County 3.91 Eastern Alberta
- 38 Leduc 3.75 Edmonton Metropolitan Region
- 39 Olds 3.70 Central Alberta
- 40 Bashaw 3.54 Central Alberta
- 41 Calgary* 3.50 Calgary Region
- 42 Edson 3.46 Alberta Rockies
- 43 Crowsnest Pass 3.40 Southern Alberta
- 44 Hinton 3.36 Alberta Rockies
- 45 Wainwright 3.35 Eastern Alberta
- 46 Lac Ste. Anne County 3.30 Central Alberta
- 47 Sexsmith 3.30 Grande Prairie
- 48 Calmar 3.21 Edmonton Metropolitan Region
- 49 Smoky Lake County 3.17 Eastern Alberta
- 50 Onoway 3.11 Central Alberta
- 51 Athabasca County 3.05 Eastern Alberta
- 52 Beaver County 3.05 Eastern Alberta
- 53 Wood Buffalo 3.05 Eastern Alberta
- 54 Bruderheim 3.01 Eastern Alberta
- 55 Whitecourt 2.98 Central Alberta
- 56 Spruce Grove 2.90 Edmonton Metropolitan Region
- 57 Rocky Mountain House 2.81 Central Alberta
- 58 Stoney Nakoda First Nation 2.78 Calgary Region
- 59 Thorhild County 2.77 Eastern Alberta
- 60 Alix 2.72 Central Alberta
- 61 Drumheller 2.63 Alberta Badlands
- 62 Bon Accord 2.62 Edmonton Metropolitan Region
- 63 Sylvan Lake 2.56 Central Alberta
- 64 Banff 2.55 Alberta Rockies
- 65 Brooks 2.55 Southern Alberta
- 66 Redcliff 2.51 Alberta Badlands
- 67 Westlock 2.50 Central Alberta
- 68 Innisfail 2.50 Central Alberta
- 69 Canmore 2.50 Alberta Rockies
- 70 Bassano 2.49 Central Alberta
- 71 Fox Creek 2.44 Grande Prairie
- 72 Fort Saskatchewan 2.44 Edmonton Metropolitan Region
- 73 Three Hills 2.30 Alberta Badlands
- 74 Sturgeon County 2.29 Central Alberta
- 75 County of Grande Prairie 2.29 Grande Prairie
- 76 Brazeau County 2.23 Central Alberta
- 77 Cochrane 2.14 Calgary Region
- 78 Lacombe County 2.02 Central Alberta
- 79 Stony Plain 2.00 Edmonton Metropolitan Region
- 80 Red Deer County 2.00 Central Alberta
- 81 St. Albert 1.98 Central Alberta
- 82 Lamont County 1.86 Eastern Alberta
- 83 Rocky View County 1.85 Calgary Region
- 84 Morinville 1.83 Central Alberta
- 85 Blackfalds 1.81 Central Alberta
- 86 Big Lakes County 1.76 Peace River Valley
- 87 Strathmore 1.74 Alberta Badlands
- 88 Jasper 1.74 Alberta Rockies
- 89 Lethbridge County 1.74 Southern Alberta
- 90 Clearwater County 1.69 Central Alberta
- 91 Crossfield 1.67 Calgary Region
- 92 Coaldale 1.60 Southern Alberta
- 93 Bowden 1.56 Central Alberta
- 94 Parkland County 1.55 Edmonton Metropolitan Region
- 95 Sherwood Park 1.49 Edmonton Metropolitan Region
- 96 Strathcona County 1.49 Edmonton Metropolitan Region
- 97 Wheatland County 1.48 Alberta Badlands
- 98 Chestermere 1.45 Calgary Region
- 99 Airdrie 1.43 Calgary Region
Security Camera Guide
If you are living in a high crime location and want to have your property protected the Free Security Camera Guide below could transform the safety of your home.
Avoid the issues millions of camera owners experience every year.
- What if the right security camera made you FIVE TIMES safer?
- Avoid the mistakes millions of others have to live with every year.
- Learn which five star reviews from real people can not be trusted.
Download the Free Security Camera Guide
Explanations About the Data
There are over 300 Municipalities in Alberta counting Villages and Reserves. We gather all the RCMP data, Calgary Police Service Data and Edmonton Police Service data that is publicly available. The goal is to report on the major areas and trends not every single village.
Of the 300 RCMP reported areas the top 100 locations with the highest number of crimes were included in this report. 38 other locations that are not in the top 100 count for total property crimes were also covered. The crimes are then compared to the population to get the crimes per 1,000 residents.
This method helps make the easiest comparison between locations. This method is also what the FBI uses to look at crime across America.
Calgary data is only available as recent as June. All other data is based on September 2022 information.
Independent police services like the Lethbridge Police Service, the Lacombe Police Service, The Medicine Hat Police service do not seem to report the property crime rates publicly.
If there is a way to access data for these and any other police services please let me know.
These locations below are some of the locations we try to measure but they did not seem to have publicly available data about the reported crime rate.
Camrose, Caroline, Clive, Elnora, Foremost, Lloydminster, Newell County No. 4, Onion Lake Cree Nation.
We made a judgement call and added these areas into their parent municipality as these municipalities are no longer independent. Wabamun, Hythe, Grande Cache